Find out about the benefits and risks of routine NHS breast screening.
Women over 50 are invited for routine breast screening because it prevents them from dying of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Now encourages all women to attend. However, there are some risks to breast screening and we think you should know about these too before making your decision.
Breast Cancer Now has produced an interactive guide, Breast screening: the facts, to explain the potential benefits and risks of routine NHS breast screening.
The interactive guide answers questions including:
- Why have I been invited for breast screening?
- What will the appointment be like?
- Am I likely to get the all clear?
- Could breast screening save my life?
- Could screening be bad for me?
Information last reviewed: 1 May 2013