A simple, easy recipe for scrumptious savoury or sweet scones. Bake them for your own fundraising tea this July and get your free Afternoon Tea kit today.
- 225g self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1tsp baking powder (sifted)
- Pinch of salt
- 50g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 125ml milk
- A little extra flour
- A little extra milk
Just swap the sugar for 25g grated mature cheddar cheese if you want to make savoury scones. For the sweet ones you can add 25g of sultanas if you like with the sugar and milk.
For sweet scones:
- Strawberry jam
- Clotted cream
For savoury scones:
- Grated cheese (any type)
- Pickle or caramelised onion chutney
- Preheat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7 and grease two baking trays.
- Put flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Rub into flour until breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the sugar and milk. Use a blunt knife to make a soft dough.
- Mould until smooth. Sprinkle surface with flour and roll out the dough until 1cm thick.
- Cut circles from the dough using a round cutter (make more scones with a smaller cutter or fewer larger scones with a bigger cutter).
- Lay them out on the trays and brush with a little milk.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until risen and golden brown. Leave to cool.
Cut scones in half and enjoy topped with jam and clotted cream or if savoury scones why not spread with butter and fill with grated cheese and pickle or caramelised onion chutney?
Gather your friends and family for an Afternoon Tea this Summer. Sign up today and get your free Afternoon Tea kit.