We're currently recruiting new volunteers to support our Here for You telephone service.
Here for You provides personalised support to help guide people diagnosed with breast cancer through our services, providing a listening ear and letting them know about available support that best meets their current needs. We work in partnership with health care professionals to enable them to refer their newly diagnosed patients to Breast Cancer Now.
If you are from a Black, Asian, or other minority ethnic background, we especially encourage you to apply. Our volunteer roles are open to anyone, but we also believe it's important that our volunteers represent the breast cancer population as a whole.
You don’t need any personal breast cancer experience to get involved. By volunteering 2 hours a week, you can provide information about Breast Cancer Now to newly diagnosed breast cancer patients.
This varied role will give you an overview of all the support services provided by Breast Cancer Now.
What will I be doing?
As a Here for You volunteer, you will contact service users by phone and use listening skills to discuss their personal needs. By doing this, we hope people will have an increased understanding of the support available to them and access to support at the right time for them. The role is varied and you will have conversations with lots of different people.
What skills or qualities do I need?
- To be a good listener, communicator and confident whilst using the telephone.
- To understand the importance of boundaries and self-care, be non-judgemental and non-directive, and able to show empathy and compassion when supporting someone
- Confident using IT, including emails and databases
- Access to a laptop or similar device, and confidence using this
- Able to work within Breast Cancer Now’s policies and guidelines, including respecting client confidentiality, safeguarding, and data protection
- Sharing Breast Cancer Now’s commitment to ensuring that the support we provide is inclusive and accessible to people from a diverse range of backgrounds
What commitment is required?
- You will make 2-3 calls per week which would take an average of one hour each, including preparation and write up
- Calls are made from your own home, between Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm and Saturday 9am to 12pm
We're not recuiting at the moment for this role, but you can register your interest and we'll get in contact with you the next time we're recruiting.