What is a Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Group?
Living with Secondary Breast Cancer is the name for our face to face services for people with secondary breast cancer. The group offers people the chance to meet others with a similar diagnosis to support each other, share experiences and learn more about secondary breast cancer and its management.
What will I be doing?
- Provide practical support to aid the smooth running of an event, for example accompanying speakers to the room, liaising with the venue, arranging refreshments
- Talking to clients during breaks if anyone appears to be on their own or uncomfortable
- Offer support to clients if they become upset or need to leave the room
- Assist in welcoming clients and making them feel comfortable. Depending on the venue this may include directing people from reception, making and serving welcome drinks, assisting with coats, directing people to toilets etc
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills
- An understand of the importance of confidentiality
- Ability to give support appropriately and seek support for yourself when needed
- A flexible and proactive approach, willingness to adapt to changes in the service
- You will need to be emotionally robust and able to support people who are living with a diagnosis of a life-limiting illness
What commitment is required?
- We ask volunteers to commit to attend a minimum of 6 sessions
- Volunteers will need to attend an induction training day and more detailed training/induction may be provided tailored to your skills/experience
- A commitment to working within Breast Cancer Now’s policies and guidelines, including respect for client confidentiality and equal opportunities
- To protect our volunteers and service users, this role may be subject to an enhanced DBS check
What will I gain from being a UK-Wide Services Support Volunteer?
- The opportunity to gain experience in group facilitation and develop new and existing skills
- The knowledge that you will be helping and making a real difference to the lives of people living with secondary breast cancer
- Travel expenses for you to fulfil this role will be reimbursed in accordance with our volunteer policy
The Spire, High Street, Poole, BH15 1DF
Ist Thursday of each month
11am-1pm or 11am-3pm on alternate months
To request an application form or find out more please email email@example.com or call 0345 077 1893.