This role is open for recruitment
Are you a good listener who likes supporting people?
Have you had your own personal experience of primary breast cancer, or can you empathise with those affected by breast cancer?
Do you have occasional day time availability?
What is Moving Forward?
Our Moving Forward service is for anyone living with and beyond breast cancer, helping them move on following diagnosis and treatment.
Moving Forward courses usually take place over 4 consecutive weeks and are delivered by a Moving Forward Facilitator, in partnership with NHS hospitals. Courses cover a range of sessions and topics delivered by local expert speakers.
As a Moving Forward volunteer you can make a difference by supporting the facilitator with the practical elements of the course, as well as being available to offer support to the participants throughout, something our clients tell us is essential to their experience.
What we are looking for
Someone with a personal experience of primary breast cancer, either through your own primary diagnosis, or through supporting a close friend or family member. Alternatively you may not have had a personal experience, but may have an interest in supporting people affected in an empathetic way.
You need to be a confident and skilled communicator, a good listener with a non-judgemental and non-directive attitude and approach.
What will you be doing?
You will be supporting a Moving Forward Facilitator at the course. Typical tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Liaise with Moving Forward Facilitator, or other Breast Cancer Now staff, to establish shared responsibilities during the course;
- Help to set up and clear away at the beginning and end of the course
- Welcome participants on arrival
- Helping with the provision of refreshments and talking to participants during breaks
- Talking briefly about your personal experience of breast cancer, your role as a Breast Cancer Now volunteer or other Breast Cancer Now services, where applicable
- Offering emotional support to participants if they become upset or need to take a break
Moving Forward courses usually take place over three or four consecutive weeks. You would ideally be involved each week for half a day. Number of courses and locations vary.
We’re currently looking for Moving Forward Volunteers in the following locations:
You can apply online using the links above. If you require a paper application pack, please contact the Volunteer Hub by emailing email@example.com or call 0345 077 1893.