This role is currently closed for recruitment
What is a Services Information Volunteer?
Breast Cancer Now’s vision is that everyone affected by breast cancer is given information about the services and support available to them.
This role allows us to reach more people affected by breast cancer and involves giving information about our services at a post-operative clinic in a hospital setting.
What will I be doing?
Discussing Breast Cancer Now services with a range of people including people affected by breast cancer, health care professionals and anyone interested in our services
- Describing and ‘selling the benefits’ of all our services and other local services
- Signposting clients to relevant services
- Taking details for anyone who would like to register with the organisation or attend/use a specific service
- Ordering and distributing publications and relevant marketing materials
- Promoting our services to your local community
- Completing any paperwork and returning to Breast Cancer Now
What skills and qualities do I need?
- You need to be a good communicator understanding that listening is as important as sharing information
- Able to communicate with people from various backgrounds and with different levels of understanding
- An awareness of the emotional impact of breast cancer
- Ability to recognise the need for support for yourself and how to obtain it when dealing with clients affected by breast cancer
- Good organisational skills
- An understanding of confidentiality and data protection
- A personal experience of breast cancer is desirable but not essential
What commitment is required?
- 1-2 days per month. Most activities are during the day so daytime availability is essential
- You will need to be part of a team of volunteers in your local area so will be asked to attend local network meetings (usually every 3-4 months)
- A commitment to working within Breast Cancer Now’s policies and guidelines, including respect for client confidentiality and equal opportunities
What will I gain from volunteering as a Services Information Volunteer?
- The opportunity to meet new people from a wide range of backgrounds
- The opportunity to gain new skills and develop existing ones
- The knowledge that you will be supporting clients by offering information about the complete range of services that are available
This role is currently closed for recruitment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries.