Help make sure that our information and resources are readily available by becoming an Information Point Volunteer.
Breast Cancer Now information points operate between 9am and 5pm. They are designed to help make sure that people visiting breast clinics have easy access to information leaflets and resources, and to make it easy for the breast care nursing team to provide them with these. We are looking for people who live within close location to the hospital.
Each information point is filled with a selection of top titles from our range of information, including leaflets on breast health, breast cancer and Breast Cancer Now. The information point complements the resources provided by the nursing team. It allows patients time to browse through what’s available and provides an important source of information for them to take home.
What will I be doing?
A key benefit of the information point service is the regular upkeep of the information point by Breast Cancer Now. Below are the key tasks involved in looking after an information point as a volunteer on behalf of Breast Cancer Now.
- visiting the information point at regular intervals
- keeping the information point well organised and fully stocked
- reporting problems
What skills and qualities do I need?
This role is a good opportunity for someone who would like to support people with breast cancer, by supporting the healthcare professionals who work with them. You don’t need any previous knowledge of breast cancer, but you should have good communication and organisational skills, and be able to:
- work confidentially and with sensitivity to the needs of people with breast cancer and the healthcare professionals who work with them
- travel to the relevant clinic at least once a fortnight on a regular basis according to mutually agreed days and times
- lift and carry small boxes of leaflets
What support and training will I receive?
- The staff team will be responsible for managing and supporting you on a day to day basis which will include guidance and instruction particular to this role. The regional Volunteer Coordinator will also offer additional support if required
- Breast Cancer Now will refund all expenses incurred in travelling for this role
- All Breast Cancer Now volunteers are invited to attend a Welcome Workshop, which provides information about volunteering for the charity and gives you an insight into Breast Cancer Now, it’s services and policies
When I visit the stand and see that the stock needs replenishing I know just how beneficial this service is.Sharon, Information Point Volunteer