Our amazing colleague, Kim, made a delicious rainbow cake in Breast Cancer Now colours.We just had to find out the recipe to share with you!
For the cake
- 360g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 360g caster sugar
- 360g self-raising flour
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of milk
- Food colouring – whatever colours you fancy
For the icing
- 200g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 220g full-fat cream cheese
- 700g icing sugar (sieved)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 180˚C/fan 160˚C/gas four. Grease baking tins/flan cases.
- Beat together the butter, caster sugar, eggs, self-raising flour, milk and vanilla extract until light and creamy.
- Divide the mixture equally between five or six bowls (depending on how many layers you would like).
- Add food colouring to each bowl and mix. Only add a small amount at once and keep adding until you reach the desired shade.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. To check if the cakes are cooked, insert a skewer and if it comes out clean they are ready! Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Make sure the cake is completely cool before starting to ice, otherwise the icing will melt!
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add a quarter of the sieved icing sugar and mix well. Keep adding the other quarters and beat until smooth.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake board/plate and spread with a little icing. Add the next sponge on top and do the same.
- Spread a thin layer of icing around the sides and top of the cake (crumb coating) and chill until firm. This should avoid any unwanted crumbs getting mixed in with the icing!
- Once firm, spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake until smooth. Chill again until firm.
- Add desired decorations.
We’d love to see the pictures of your bakes and hear about any homemade recipes you’d like to share! You can get in touch with the tea-loving team at firstname.lastname@example.org.