The Secondary Breast Cancer nursing group is open to members of Breast Cancer Now's Nursing Network and has been set up in response to requests from nurses working with patients affected by metastatic breast cancer.
The group is open to any Nursing Network member who is:
- Currently involved in providing specialist care and support to people with metastatic breast cancer
- Interested in developing their clinical skills required for working, with this client group
- Wishes to improve the service their hospital trust provides
Terms of reference Secondary Breast Cancer nursing group
Purposes of the group
- To bring together nurses working with people with secondary breast cancer, enabling them to share expertise and influence positive changes in patient care.
- To learn and share best practice which in turn help improve standards of care for people with secondary breast cancer.
- To work with Breast Cancer Now's Policy and Campaigns team, providing expertise and commentary on behalf of people with secondary breast cancer.
- To provide a peer support network for members, in recognition of the emotional demands of working with people with secondary breast cancer.
- To raise awareness of the support and information available from Breast Cancer Now to those diagnosed with secondary breast cancer.
- Share different models of specialist cancer nursing.
- Share information and support on setting up nurse-led clinics for people with secondary breast cancer.
- Explore how data collection is managed in different areas.
- Identify best assessment tools for use in practice, for example Holistic Needs Assessment.
- Promote joint working between nurses working with people with secondary breast cancer secondary breast cancer and appropriate colleagues in palliative care.
- Contribute occasionally to the Healthcare Professional bulletin to keep the wider Nursing Network members updated with the group’s work/key messages as appropriate.
The Secondary Breast Cancer nursing group is open to any Breast Cancer Now Nursing Network member (including breast care nurses, clinical nurse specialists, breast care practitioners, research nurses and palliative care nurses) who offers care to people diagnosed with secondary breast cancer. Members’ details will be kept confidentially at Breast Cancer Now in accordance with data protection regulation.
Two national meetings a year for the whole group (attendance is voluntary). These willl be face to face or virtual as appropriate.
Regional meetings are held via a virtual platform two to three times per year.
The Clinical Nurse Specialist in Secondary breast cancer at Breast Cancer Now will attend meetings along with other Breast Cancer Now staff as appropriate.
To join the group, email email@example.com