The Secondary Breast Cancer Nursing Group is open to any Nursing Network member who is:
- A breast care nurse, clinical nurse specialist, advanced nurse practitioner, research nurse or palliative care nurse, working with people diagnosed with secondary breast cancer.
- Interested in developing their clinical skills required for working, with this client group.
- Wishing to improve the service their hospital trust provides.
- Would like to network with others working in similar roles.
Terms of reference Secondary Breast Cancer Nursing Group
Purposes of the group
- To bring together nurses working with people with secondary breast cancer, enabling them to share expertise and influence positive changes in patient care.
- To learn and share best practice which in turn will drive change and help improve standards of care for people with secondary breast cancer.
- To work with Breast Cancer Now's Policy and Campaigns team, providing expertise and commentary on behalf of people with secondary breast cancer.
- To provide a peer support network for members, in recognition of the psychological demands of working with people with secondary breast cancer.
- To share information and support on the treatment and care of those with a diagnosis of secondary breast cancer and to raise awareness of the support and information available from Breast Cancer Now for this patient group.
- Share different models of specialist cancer nursing for this patient group.
- Share information and support on setting up nurse-led clinics for people with secondary breast cancer.
- Share assessment tools for use in practice, for example Holistic Needs Assessment.
- Promote joint working between nurses working with people with secondary breast cancer and appropriate colleagues in palliative care and other services.
- Contribute occasionally to the Healthcare Professional bulletin to keep the wider Nursing Network members updated with the group’s work/key messages as appropriate.
The Secondary Breast Cancer Nursing Group is open to any member of Breast Cancer Now’s Nursing Network who is a breast care nurse, clinical nurse specialist, advanced nurse practitioner, research nurse or palliative care nurse, working with this patient group. Members’ details will be kept confidentially at Breast Cancer Now in accordance with data protection regulation.
Two national meetings a year for the whole group (attendance is voluntary). These will be face to face or virtual as appropriate.
The Clinical Nurse Specialist in secondary breast cancer at Breast Cancer Now will attend meetings along with other Breast Cancer Now staff as appropriate.
To join the group, email firstname.lastname@example.org